The Latest: Attorney questions allegation in compound caseAugust 9, 2018 7:01am

TAOS, N.M. (AP) — The Latest on 11 children found living in a filthy, makeshift compound in New Mexico (all times local):

4 p.m.

A defense attorney is questioning accusations that a man arrested at a ramshackle New Mexico compound was training children to commit school shootings.

Aleks Kostich of the Taos County Public Defender's Office said Wednesday the allegations by prosecutors against Siraj Ibn Wahhaj (see-DAHJ' IBN wah-HAJ') lacked additional explanation, except to say the information came from the foster parent of a child removed from the compound last week.

Kostich says he believes prosecutors are not certain about the credibility of the source.

Wahhaj and four other adults were arrested Friday during a raid at the compound in Amalia, where authorities say they found 11 hungry children living in filth.

Authorities were searching for a missing boy.

They say they found the remains of a small child but medical examiners have not identified the remains.

__

12:30 p.m.

Prosecutors say in court documents that the father of a missing Georgia boy was training children at a New Mexico compound to commit school shootings.

The documents filed Wednesday say Siraj Ibn Wahhaj (see-DAHJ' IBN wah-HAJ') was conducting weapons training at the compound near the Colorado border where 11 hungry children were found in filthy conditions.

Prosecutors filed the documents while asking that Wahhaj be held without bail.

Wahhaj was arrested last week with four other adults. They are facing child abuse charges.

Authorities say the remains of a boy also were found on the compound but have not been positively identified by a medical examiners.

__

9:30 a.m.

New Mexico officials investigating a makeshift compound where 11 children were found hungry plan to ask a judge to hold the father of a missing boy without bail.

New Mexico 8th Judicial District Attorney Donald Gallegos said Tuesday that prosecutors are putting together evidence to ask a judge to hold Siraj Ibn Wahhaj (see-DAHJ' IBN wah-HAJ') without bond.

A warrant from Georgia seeks the extradition of Wahhaj to face a charge of abducting his son from that state last December.

He is scheduled to appear in a Taos County court on Wednesday. Wahhaj and four other adults also face felony child abuse charges after a raid by authorities found the 11 children living in filth.

The missing boy was not among the children found in that initial search but authorities say they found the remains of a child that they are working to identify.

___

12 a.m.

The father of a missing boy is due in court Wednesday as authorities work to identify a child's remains uncovered in an isolated New Mexico compound where he was arrested last week.

A warrant from Georgia seeks the extradition of Siraj Ibn Wahhaj to face a charge of abducting his son from that state last December.

Wahhaj and four other adults also face felony child abuse charges after a raid by authorities revealed 11 hungry children living in filth.

The missing boy was not among the children found in that initial search.

The district attorney said he would withhold comment on the potential for additional charges until investigators identified the remains found on the site.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE - In this Jan. 24, 2018, file photo California Attorney General Xavier Becerra talks during a news conference in Sacramento, Calif. The California Supreme Court has made it easier for some immigrant children who are abused or abandoned by a parent to seek a U.S. visa to avoid deportation. Becerra said in court documents that the case affected a "substantial portion" of the thousands of children who have fled to the U.S. from Central America and Mexico and settled in California. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)
California high court rules for immigrant kids in visa fight
FILE - In this Friday, Aug. 10, 2018 file photo aerial view of a makeshift compound is seen in the desert area of Amalia, N.M. New Mexico forensic investigators announced Thursday, Aug. 16, that a highly decomposed body found at a desert compound in New Mexico has been identified as a missing Georgia boy whose father is accused of kidnapping him and performing purification rituals on the severely disabled child. The New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator said Thursday that the remains were those of Abdul-ghani Wahhaj. (AP Photo/Brian Skoloff, File)
The Latest: Prosecutor says no charges yet in boy's death
Virginia asks high court to hear appeal on sniper sentencingVirginia's attorney general has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the state's appeal of a ruling granting new sentencing hearings for the man serving life terms for the sniper shootings that terrorized the Washington region when he was a teenager
Alabama Supreme Court won't move lawsuit against Roy MooreThe Alabama Supreme Court won't transfer a defamation lawsuit against former U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore by a woman who accused Moore of molesting her decades ago
Erie Catholic Bishop Lawrence T. Persico concludes a news conference at the St. Mark Catholic Center in Erie, Pa., on Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018. In responding to the state Attorney General's grand jury report on sex abuses in the Catholic Diocese of Erie and five other Pennsylvanian Roman Catholic dioceses, Persico apologized to the victims and detailed steps the diocese is taking to keep abuse from occurring again. (Christopher Millette/Erie Times-News via AP)
Pennsylvania bishops mostly silent on prosecutor's challenge
FILE - In this Oct. 3, 2017, file photo, windows are broken at the Mandalay Bay resort and casino in Las Vegas, the room from where Stephen Craig Paddock fired on a nearby music festival, killed 58 and injuring hundreds on Oct. 1.  Attorneys for a group of victims of the Las Vegas mass shooting harshly criticized MGM Resorts International this week over its legal maneuver seeking to consolidate multiple lawsuits stemming from the massacre. The victims' attorneys in court documents filed Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018, say the casino operator is acting with improper motives in seeking to have the cases combined in one court. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)
Vegas victims' attorneys criticize MGM's legal maneuver
This component is currently unavailable.
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices